Contact & Feedback
Site Survey

Driving Directions
Site Map
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy

Business Filings

The Division of Business Filings files organizing documents, amendments and all other forms related to the operation of corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships. Sole proprietorships and general partnerships do not have to file with the Division. In addition to these forms, the Division also files all documents related to the Uniform Commercial Code. To learn more about each of these divisions, please visit the individual pages.

Contact Us

(803) 734-2158

SC Secretary of State's Office
1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 525
Columbia, SC 29201

***Administrative Dissolution/Forfeiture Notices***

If your entity has been administratively dissolved due to failure to pay a tax or file a tax return to the South Carolina Department of Revenue (DOR), you must first contact the DOR at (803) 896-1730. The DOR will assist you in curing any filing deficiencies with their office. Once you have complied with the DOR, they will issue a Certificate of Tax Compliance. This certificate should be filed with the Secretary of State’s Office with the Application for Reinstatement. Please click here for additional information.


***Affidavit Now Required for Filing Articles of Dissolution for Nonprofit Corporations***

On June 8, 2010, Governor Mark Sanford signed into law an amendment of the South Carolina Nonprofit Corporation Act modifying filing procedures for dissolution of nonprofit corporations.  Pursuant to South Carolina Code Section 33-31-1402 (f), any person filing articles of dissolution of an existing nonprofit corporation with the Office of the Secretary of State must attach an affidavit affirming his or her authority to take this action.  The Secretary of State can only accept filings of articles of dissolution that have this affidavit attached.

In order to facilitate the implementation of this new requirement, the Office of the Secretary of State has updated its form for filing articles of dissolution for a nonprofit corporation.  The affidavit has been incorporated into the form, and must be notarized prior to filing the form with the Office of the Secretary of State.  The form for filing articles of dissolution for a nonprofit corporation can be found on the Secretary of State’s website at, in the Library of Forms and Fees.


 Helpful Links for Small Business Owners

United States Small Business Administration
South Carolina Department of Commerce
SC Small Business Development Centers